Just when we thought it’s goodbye to social media for former US President Donald Trump, it has emerged that he is returning online space with his own platform.
Suspended from Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites after the Jan 6 riot at the US Capitol, his senior adviser has announced that Trump plans to launch his own platform in two to three months.
Jason Miller, a spokesman for Trump’s 2020 campaign, told Fox News that Trump would re-enter the social media space with a new platform of his own that would “completely redefine the game.”
“The president’s been off of social media for a while,” he told Fox News Media Buzz host Howard Kurtz, “[but] his press releases, his statements have actually been getting almost more play than he ever did on Twitter before.”
Miller said he had been told by a reporter the statements were “much more elegant” and “more presidential” than Trump’s tweets, but added: “I do think that we’re going to see President Trump returning to social media in probably about two or three months here with his own platform.
Asked if Trump was going to create the platform himself or with a company, Miller said: “I can’t go much further than what I was able to just share, but I can say that it will be big once he starts.
Miller provided no further details, and no comment was immediately available from officials with the Trump Organization.
Twitter last week said it would seek public input on when and how it should ban world leaders, saying it was reviewing policy and considering whether the leaders should be held to the same rules as other users.
Facebook, which indefinitely suspended Trump in January, has asked its independent oversight board to decide whether the ban should stand.
It may well be an exercise in futility as the former president has other ‘big ideas’.