Stephen Borton has stated that the alleged wedding ceremony between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, three days prior to their highly publicised, May 19, 2018 wedding, is invalid.
The former chief clerk at the Faculty Office, said the duchess is “obviously confused”as to what the simple ceremony in their Nottingham Cottage backyard represented.
Borton told the Sun that the ceremony described by Meghan in the interview with Oprah Winfrey was “not valid” because there were no witnesses and the couple’s home – Nottingham Cottage – was not an authorised venue.
“They did not marry three days earlier in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
“The Special Licence I helped draw up enabled them to marry at St George’s Chapel in Windsor and what happened there on 19 May 2018 and was seen by millions around the world was the official wedding as recognised by the Church of England and the law”, he added.
“What I suspect they did was exchange some simple vows they had perhaps written themselves, and which is fashionable, and said that in front of the Archbishop or, and more likely, it was a simple rehearsal.”
During her bombshell interview with Oprah, Markle had disclosed that she and Harry had been wed by the Archbishop of Canterbury in their backyard, three days before May 19, 2018.