Many persons were feared dead in a fire outbreak that occurred at Kubwa main market in Abuja on Friday.
Sources say the inferno was caused by an explosion from a phone used by a Kerosene seller.
“The fire was not caused by transformer explosion as being speculated but phone. The woman selling the kerosene was using her phone’s torchlight to sell the product when the explosion occurred,” a source said.
“I believe that the explosion was due to the electromagnetic waves of the phone. The explosion threw the kerosene tank from the ground to the roof of the plaza, from where the fire started.
“While some people believed that it was a bomb, other said it was transformer explosion. But, I was there; and I saw it. The incident was caused by phone.
“So many people where burnt including the woman selling the Kerosene; some children were among those burnt beyond recognition.
“Some shops were burnt down.”
When asked about efforts of fire service, the eyewitness said: “The fire fighters came very late, but boys in the area were able to put the fire under control.”