Legendary actor, Babatunde Omidina, also known as Baba Suwe, tragically passed away Monday.
His demise was announced by his daughter on Monday morning, saying burial details would be announced by the family subsequently.
As Nigerians mourn the passing of a comic legend, here are seven important things to know about him.
- Baba Suwe was born Babatunde Omidina on August 22, 1958 in Inabere Street in Lagos Island
- He had his primary education at Jamaitul Islamial Primary School in Lagos and Children Boarding School, Osogbo.
- An indigene of Lagos Island, He began acting in 1971 but came into the limelight in the 1990s with his role in the television comedy series titled “Erin Kee Kee”.
- Baba Suwe was married to Omoladun Omidina with children. She, however, died in 2009.
- He shot to fame after he featured in Iru Esinproduced by Olaiya Igwe in 1997.
- In 2011, he was accused of drug trafficking by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, but his solicitor, the late Bamidele Aturu, proved his innocence.
- In 2019, he arrived in the United States of America for treatment of chronic diabetes, after which he died aged 63 in November 2021.