Drogba Foundation Cleared After Allegations of Lavish Spending
Didier Drogba’s charity foundation has been cleared of wrongdoing after an investigation into “serious regulatory concerns”.
This follows a probe by UK’s Charity Commission earlier this year after a damning report in the Daily Mail that claimed just £14,115 out of £1.7 million donated to the Ivory Coast legend’s charity had actually been channeled to the right cause.
According to the Mail, a whopping £439 321 was spent putting on “lavish” fundraising parties attended by celebrities, and more than £1 million “languished” in bank accounts.
The former Chelsea star vehemently denied the allegations, claiming he’d spent his own sponsorship earnings first and planned to use UK fundraising money for future projects.
And the Foundation has now been cleared after the Charities Commission concluded their investigations, AFP writes.
“We have been able to satisfy our most serious concerns in relation to the charity by confirming that funds have not been misapplied and that all funds raised in the English charity’s name have been held by the English charity,” a Charities Commission statement read on Thursday.
“We are also able to confirm that we found no evidence of fraud or corruption on behalf of the charity.”
The 38-year-old star, who currently plays for Montreal Impact in the MLS, was relieved at the turn of events.
“The Charities Commission has today confirmed after a seven month investigation, that no funds have been misapplied by my Foundation, and that there has been no financial wrongdoing, no fraud and no corruption,” he said.
“I am pleased that this supports what we always said from the start which is that the claims made by the Daily Mail back in April were entirely false.”
The Didier Drogba Foundation, based in the Ivory Coast and UK, has contributed immensely to laudable causes in Africa.